BLACK AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR RESTORATION
Hair transplant on Black African American is more difficult than Caucasian or Asian due to the curly hair and root. Through many years of experience, Dr. Diep has overcome these challenges with some specific modifications to ensure excellent hair result. Many people from around the world have sought out Dr. Diep because of his rare and unique skill as a hair transplant surgeon who specializes in Black’s curly hair restoration. Although there are many similarities to other ethnic when restoring hair, the curly black hair presents many challenges and differences. The differences are:
1) Unlike Caucasian/white men who tend to have high hair line or Asian men with commonly low hair line, African American can have both medium high and low hair line.
2) The Black’s Zigzag line is smaller in amplitude than the Caucasian’s or Asian’s Zigzag lines, because many Black men like to shave their hairline very straight.
3) Due to the curly nature of Black's hair, the angle placement is not as important as the straight or wavy hair. However, Dr. Diep will still follow the natural hair angle with variation in degree at different locations to ensure natural growth, allowing the patient to comb his/her hair any direction or style that he or she desired.
4) The Black curly hairs & roots can easily be damaged with conventional tools and techniques. Dr. Diep has established special tools and methods to place in the hair grafts with a "Screw In" pattern to ensure healthy transplanting of hair grafts without damaging the bulbs.
5) Less efficient to extract curly black hair than straight hair because of higher chance of damaging the hair bulbs, more so with FUE technique than Strip harvesting method.
6) Thick curly hair will have better coverage than straight thin hair, allowing the individual to transplant less hair with good coverage.
7) Due to the medium to dark skin, the post op redness rarely noticeable. However, if the redness does occur, it will disappear faster than the pale white "Histamine positive" skin.