Here’s What You Should Know About Stress Contributing to Hair Loss in Men and Women
Does stress cause hair loss? What can you do about it? Our San Francisco hair transplant doctor, Dr. Diep at MHTA Clinic, explains the correlation.
Here’s what you should know:
Chronic stress does correlate with hair loss. Some situations that frequently cause hair loss include illness, injury, pregnancy, domestic issues, money problems, poor diet, and some prescription medications.
If you are losing hair due to chronic stress, your situation may fall under one of three types of hair loss; talk to your doctor today to learn more:
- Trichotillomania is the uncontrollable urge to pull-out hair from your head, face, or other body areas, in response to anxiety or stressful situations.
- Alopecia areata is when your immune system is to blame for hair loss, attacking follicles which causes hair to fall-out.
- Telogen effluvium occurs when stressful situations force hair into its resting phase, later falling out unexpectedly.
Sudden hair loss may also be a sign of a serious, underlying condition that warrants medical intervention before moving forward with any hair restoration or bald treatment, including hair transplant surgery.
Coping Strategies to De-Stress
If you want to prevent losing your hair, learn how to better-cope with the stress in your life. Set aside time in your busy life to engage in activities that relax you. Consider it an investment in your overall health and well-being. Some relaxation techniques include:
- Exercise and working out.
- Yoga and meditation.
- Talk therapy.
- Eat healthfully and include vitamin supplements, as needed.
- Interact with uplifting people.
- Treat your hair gently. Be careful when grooming, washing, and drying, not to pull or stress the hair strands.
Don’t let hair loss become an additional stressor in your life; talk to Dr. Diep about FUE hair restoration surgery for advanced hair loss situations.
Consult with the Best Hair Restoration Doctor in the Bay Area
Determine and discuss your options for San Jose men’s hair loss treatment with an FUE doctor in the San Francisco Bay Area. Stress can affect and even cause hair loss, so find out what can be done about it. Contact us online today or call (866) 999-6482 for a free and confidential consultation with Dr. Diep at MHTA Clinic.