You will be amazed that the success rate of hair transplant surgeries is 90%-95%. It means most of the grafted hair survives and grows normally afterward.
However, a hair transplant is a surgical procedure, and post-hair transplant care is extremely important for the best results. The lack of care post-surgery will lead to prolonged healing and recovery.
So, let’s look at the dos and don'ts of post-hair transplant procedures for the best results.
What to Do After Hair Transplant – 8 Do's You Must Follow
A hair transplant is only successful with proper aftercare. Here are certain things you must follow to make the procedure successful:
- Follow the post-operative instructions of the surgeon carefully – Since a hair transplant is a surgical procedure, you must take necessary precautions and follow the post-operative instructions of the surgeon carefully to avoid infections and other problems.
- Take the prescribed medicines as directed – Your surgeon will prescribe some medication for quicker healing and reducing pain and inflammation. Follow the surgeon's directions and take the prescribed medicines accordingly.
- Rest as much as possible – Try to rest as much as possible a few days after the hair transplant surgery. The more you relax, the faster your recovery process will be.
- Follow a healthy diet plan – An essential part of post hair transplant care is consuming a healthy and balanced diet for healthy hair growth. You should be getting helpful vitamins after a hair transplant that support recovery.
- Consume plenty of fluids – Make sure you remain hydrated after the hair transplant procedure. Consume plenty of fluids for proper healing and quicker recovery.
- Sleep with your head in an elevated position – You must sleep with the head elevated at around a 45-degree angle minimum for a week after the hair transplant surgery. It helps in preventing swelling and quicker wound healing.
- Wash your hair gently – You cannot wash your hair in the first 48 hours of the surgery. On the third day, you can wash your hair gently using a mild shampoo. However, don't scratch or rub the scalp.
- Refrain from sun exposure – Avoid direct sun exposure altogether after the surgical procedure for 2 weeks.
You should also read: Discover The Amazing Results of FUE Men's Hair Loss Treatment
Things to Avoid After Hair Transplant – 6 Don'ts You Must Know
Your surgeon will guide you about the things to avoid after a hair transplant. Here are some crucial pointers:
- Don't wash your hair – Do not wash your hair for at least 2 days after the surgical procedure. After that, you can wash your hair gently. Avoid rubbing your scalp or putting too much pressure on it..
- Refrain from scratching the scalp – As the transplant is done on the scalp, it is best not to touch or scratch it for a few days. It will slow down the healing and recovery process.
- Don't wear hats or caps – Refrain from wearing hats or caps immediately after the transplant. Wait 10-15 days so the transplanted hairs settle, and there is no pressure on the grafts.
- Don't smoke or drink – A vital part of the daily routine of post hair transplant is not smoking and drinking. As alcohol dehydrates, avoid it for the first 5-10 days of the procedure. You must not smoke for a minimum of 1 month after the transplant.
- Abstain from hair styling products – Hair styling products generally have harsh chemicals and will hamper the effectiveness of the hair transplant process. Wait at least 4 weeks or more before you start using products on your hair.
- Don't get a haircut – Wait at least one month before you think of getting a haircut after the hair transplant procedure.
As a hair transplant is a cosmetic surgical procedure, post hair transplant care is mandatory to get the best results. Follow the steps mentioned above for the best results. In case of any complications or discomfort, contact your surgeon at once.
Suppose you are looking for a reputed and trusted destination for hair transplants in the San Francisco Bay Area. In that case, there is no better place than Medical Hair Transplant & Aesthetics. Under the able guidance and supervision of Dr. John Deip, expect to get your hair back and your confidence.
- How long after a hair transplant are grafts secure?
Generally, it takes about 3-4 days for the transplanted hair grafts to become secure after the surgery.
- When can I get a haircut after a hair transplant?
You must wait at least one month before considering getting a haircut after the hair transplant procedure.
- When can I scratch my head after a hair transplant?
Scratching might damage the transplanted hair grafts, so don't scratch your head during recovery. Wait for a month, at least, before you can scratch your head gently.
- Can you wear a bandana after a hair transplant?
It is advised not to wear a bandana, scarf, hat, or cap for at least 10-15 days after a hair transplant.