FUE vs Strip Harvesting Hair Transplants
The Strip Harvesting method is the more traditional technique of hair transplant. The new and most advanced method is referred to as Follicular Unit of Extraction (FUE). The Strip harvesting method involves the cutting of a strip of skin with the hair grafts still intact. Hair is usually obtained from the back of the head. The hair grafts are then dissected under an ultra fine microscope into each individual follicular units of hair. The dissected follicular units are then transplanted to the area where they are needed.
There are advantages and disadvantages to using the strip harvesting method as oppose to the FUE procedure.
The advantages of strip harvesting method are:
- Less expensive
- Mega session, transplanting up to 5,000 grafts per session
- Used to treat moderate to severe hair loss
The disadvantages of strip harvesting method are:
- More invasive
- Numbness at the surgical donor site
- Fine linear scar on the back of the head
- More painful during recovery period
- More bleeding
- More chances of infection
On the other hand, FUE hair transplant involves the extraction of one hair graft at a time from the donor site. This method requires the use of a special tool. FUE method also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The FUE hair transplant advantages are:
- NO VISIBLE LINEAR SCAR after recovery
- Less invasive
- Minimal bleeding at donor site
- No nerve numbness
- Less painful during recovery period
- Used to treat mild to moderate hair loss
Although there won’t be any visible linear scar from the FUE procedure, there may be tiny circular incisions from the use of biopsy punch. Dr. Diep invented his own biopsy punch. The size of the biopsy punch is 0.8 to 1.0 millimeter in diameter. Thus, the incision is so tiny that it may not be seen with the naked eye. Dr. Diep is very popular in FUE hair restoration. He has performed many hair transplants using both the FUE and the strip methods. Click on this link to view one of Dr. Diep’s FUE surgeries. Medical Hair Transplant Before and After Videos
The FUE hair transplant disadvantages are:
- More expensive
- More time consuming
- More demanding on the skill and time of the surgeon
- Approximately 2500 grafts can be transplanted per session
- Rare cyst formation which normally resolve by itself
MHTA offers an affordable price for FUE. We have financing options available. To receive a free consultation, call us now at 866-999-6482 or visit our contact us page. Remember, hair transplant is a permanent solution. Hair defines many things for a man….personality, attractiveness, success, health and social status. Call us today to talk to the doctor!
Use this short form to contact MHTA.